Image Map

Sunday, 28 July 2013

Sugar OverLoad - DYI Fresh FruitCake

Dear friends,

Brace Yourself! Sweets are coming! :)

One day I was in the mood for cooking... actually baking as I am not that good at cooking... let's be honest, the only things I can do without setting the kitchen on fire is do scrambled eggs/boiled eggs/mashed potatoes and... I think that's about it! I love baking and unfortunately I cannot bake anything as the oven from our rented apartment is not that... friendly (let us just leave it like that). I am pretty good at doing muffins and fruit tarts and I was missing that so I was thinking what other sweets I used to do, that did not require using an oven, so on the 25th this month :p to pre-celebrate my sisters birthday, I figured out I might try to do a fresh fruit cake :)

Here is what you need to do it:
  • about 300-400 ml of cold milk
  • about 2 packs of wafers - you know, the ones you have with champagne... (maybe 3, to make sure you have enough and all those you need are whole)
  • powder cream - vanilla or chocolate or whatever you want :) (I choose chocolate as I know my fiancee loves/adores chocolate ;) )
  • about 100 grams of butter
  • 2 mandarine compotes (you will use both the juice and the fruits)
  • whipped cream - 1 tube should be enough ;)
  • a bunch of fruits (as many as you can... you know... I am a fan!) for the inside of the cake and the outside to garnish it - I choose blueberry and raspberry as it is the season and they are fresh ;) and do not taste like plastic :p

So... first of all you will need to do the cream for the filling. You will put together the fresh milk with the cocoa powder and the butter and you will mix it up together until it look like in the picture above :) It should be homogeneous and creamy almost same consistency of Nutella <3


Then you make sure fruits are fresh and cleaned properly and cold - from the fridge ;)


And then you start doing the cake :) first layer will be the waffles and as you know they are pretty crunchy so what you will need to "water" them out with the mandarine juice from the compot. After that you will aply one thick layer of the cocoa cream and over it you will place the mandarines :)


You will have to repeat the same procedure 2-3 times until you will have a layered cake like in the picture below :)


Of course after this layer I applied another layer of waffles. I dod not water those and I put everything in the fridge over the night and next day (right before serving!) I put over the whole cake the whipped cream and I "seasoned" it with all the blueberry and raspberry left ;)


Unfortunately for you there is no picture of the end product as it was so tasty (and the weather outside was so hot... that the whipped cream did not let us cut the cake but rather the both of us ate it with our fingers and spoons before it melted all out :p)... Either way my fiancee who is a big fan of sweet things told me that this was THE SWEETEST thing he ever ate in his life!

SCORED!!! :)

Yours truly,
The LadyBug :p